Here are five easy ideas for celebrating Earth Day every single day that my friends and I came up with.
1. Do not rake your leaves if they are under trees, and not do not look ugly. Old leaves make a great natural mulch, and trap carbon from being released into the atmosphere. Old leaves are Mother Nature’s mulch! Worms love leaves, and help make them into beautiful soil for your plants!
2. Do not use mulch for your garden or yard. Mulch requires a lot of energy to make and transport.
3. A good idea for water conservation, water your outdoor plants in the morning or evening and not in the afternoon when the sun is high in the sky. Water evaporates less from the soil when the sun is not high in the sky. The more water in the soil the more nutrients your plants get the less you need to water them.
4. Fix not throw out anything you have that is broken. If a shirt has a small rip sew the rip up or find someone who can sew. If a cup has a broken handle glue it back together if it is safe to use.
5. Use bags only if you have a lot of things to carry. If the things you buy in the grocery store can all fit in your hands then tell the store cashier you do not need a bag. I have big pockets on my clothes and always put things I buy in them.